BE PREPARED FOR WINTER POWER OUTAGES
PRAMAC wants to remind generator owners how to use their generators safely and effectively.
Being without power is really disruptive and many people will do anything to get their lives back to normal; however, it is important that consumers use their generators according to the manufacturer’s recommendations to ensure safe, effective operation.
- Portable generators must always be operated outdoors, a safe distance away from windows and doors to keep carbon monoxide from entering the home.
- They should never be operated in an enclosed space, like a garage, even with ventilation.
- Portable generators should be placed on a level surface free of snow, with the exhaust pointing away from the home. They should never be operated on a combustible surface, like a wooden deck. All extension cords should be in good repair and rated for outdoor use.
- Before refuelling the generator, it is recommended to shut down the unit and allow it to cool.
- Automatic backup generators should be kept clear of snow on all sides to ensure adequate ventilation.